Re: breadcrumbs for Info . . . . . .

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: breadcrumbs for Info . . . . . .
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 19:17:24 +0200

() "Drew Adams" <address@hidden>
() Fri, 13 Jun 2008 06:55:15 -0700

   No one suggested that. No one has suggested anything for NEWS,
   AFAIK.

Right.  It was pure conjecture, as was:

   > but rather: [...]

   Whatever.

Fine.  I suppose we can discuss the user pov when the user
actually becomes informed by way of NEWS, instead of beforehand.
No big deal.

   I proposed more than once to add a user option for showing
   breadcrumbs.  Personally, I think it should be optional but on
   by default. You shouldn't have to "find a way" to remove it -
   that should be as easy as customizing an option.

Cool.  Yes, i would welcome such an option.  Perhaps even better...

   If someone wants to implement it, optionally not showing
   breadcrumbs could provide behavior like you describe (MB3 shows
   a breadcrumbs menu,...). Go for it.

...would be to separate the collection of path-to-root info from
its display.  The customizable option might be (a hypothetical)
`Info-display-breadcrumbs-method', with nil meaning don't bother,
or otherwise a function that takes the list of nodes up to root.

The default value can be a function to formattedly insert into the
buffer (as you propose, iiuc), whereas curmudgeons, who might like
using the collected info but not its default display method, can
write (or badger others to write) something else.

Btw, if i detect correctly a tone of annoyance in your reply, i
apologize for having triggered it.  It's not my intent to annoy.

thi