header-line and mode-line faces

From: Drew Adams
Subject: header-line and mode-line faces
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 13:10:49 -0700

Here is the default definition of face `header-line':

 Attributes: [ ] Font Family: *
             [ ] Width: *
             [ ] Height: *
             [ ] Weight: *
             [ ] Slant: *
             [ ] Underline: *
             [ ] Overline: *
             [ ] Strike-through: *
             [ ] Box around text: *
             [ ] Inverse-video: *
             [ ] Foreground: *
             [ ] Background: *
             [ ] Stipple: *
             [X] Inherit:
                 INS DEL Face: (sample) mode-line
                 INS
 Overriding
 Attributes: [ ] Font Family: *
             [ ] Width: *
             [ ] Height: *
             [ ] Weight: *
             [ ] Slant: *
             [ ] Underline: *
             [ ] Overline: *
             [ ] Strike-through: *
             [X] Box around text: Value Menu Off
             [ ] Inverse-video: *
             [X] Foreground: grey20     (sample)
             [X] Background: grey90     (sample)
             [ ] Stipple: *
             [ ] Inherit: *

I don't think that is a good idea. The default value should just inherit from
face `mode-line'. Users should be able to customize face `mode-line' and have
face `header-line' follow suite. At least the foreground and background should
simply be inherited - see next wrt boxing.

I also think the default for face `mode-line' should not be boxed (and therefore
no reason for `header-line' to override this), but that is a different issue. (I
have the feeling that the boxed mode line came into being just because boxing
became a new possibility.)