Re: Post-mortem debugging and abort

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: Post-mortem debugging and abort
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2008 01:59:43 +0200

David Kastrup wrote:
"Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <address@hidden> writes:

Richard M Stallman wrote:
Perhaps the GCC manual should say more about the importance of
-fno-cross-jump for debugging.  If you write a patch to it,
then if I like it, I will send it to the GCC maintainers.
Wouldn't it also be good to add some of the thoughts David had to
etc/DEBUG? That could save time for other people and also be used as a
source when trying to discuss this with the GCC maintainers.

etc/DEBUG contains

    ** When you are trying to analyze failed assertions, it will be
    essential to compile Emacs either completely without optimizations or
    at least (when using GCC) with the -fno-crossjumping option.  Failure
    to do so may make the compiler recycle the same abort call for all
    assertions in a given function, rendering the stack backtrace useless
    for identifying the specific failed assertion.

"failure to do so may unfortunately currently make the compiler ..."