Mac (Leopard) story

From: Paul Michael Reilly
Subject: Mac (Leopard) story
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 07:59:56 -0400

I see from the NEWS file that Mac Carbon is no longer supported and that there is a placeholder for a replacement story.

Having recently acquired a Mac with Leopard installed that only has a terminal version of Emacs I immediately proceeded to download the Xcode 3.0 development tools and configured Emacs to build from the CVS sources. The only breakage I encountered was missing graphics libraries (jpeg, gif and tiff --- can anyone give me a decent reference on how to get these libraries easily installed since the fink and darwinports/macports sites didn't do the trick for me). I passed on the graphics libraries for now and Emacs built and installed nicely, sort of. It appears to be an X11 application meaning I get the X11 menu in the top menu bar where I kind of expected the Emacs menu bar to be. Is anyone working on making Emacs on the Mac (Leopard) a first class citizen? Not that I'm volunteering ... so many projects, so little time. Just curious.

-pmr