Re: Yanking isearch to highlight-regexp

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: Yanking isearch to highlight-regexp
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 21:08:32 +0200

David Koppelman wrote:
I like the idea of combining regexp histories, but we might want to be
careful. I can see sharing patterns between hi-lock and occur because
they are used for locating things, but isearch patterns are used for
navigation and so might contain many regexps matching little pieces of
text that only occasionally would make good highlight targets.

I'd suggest having a shared history for occur and hi-lock with a few
recent isearch targets mixed in.

I am not sure but I think it does not matter that much for hi-lock and occur if the history is a bit longer since they are used more seldom.

So I think it would be better to have one history list for all three by defaults. How is it done now, is there a variable telling which history list to use for each of these three cases?