Re: Zero height line causing arithmetic errors

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Zero height line causing arithmetic errors
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 10:13:31 -0400

> For the problem of FRAME_SMALLEST_FONT_HEIGHT being set to
> 0, I installed the similar change.

Thanks.

> And, for the problem of too tall line-height, I found the
> culprit is XftTextExtents8.  When the pixelsize of a font is

I think the problem I've been seeing is a different one.  While trying
to solve some other problem I discovered that my problem was linked to
issues where Xresource font settings seem impose themselves too
strongly, so the font-backend used was most likely X rather than xft (in
my case) and the problem disappeared if I removed those font settings
and let the font be specified some other way.  I.e. I'm glad you found
your bug, but mine is still around, and is probably
elsewhere altogether.

> But, note that the line height is still 2, not 1.  That's
> because the display engine calculate the line height by
> ascent+descent, and both ascent and descent doesn't become 0
> in the structure XftFont even though `height' member is 1.
> It may be another Xft (or freetype) problem.

Yes, I saw that.  I found it curious, but was actually happy about it:
I prefer my line to be 2 pixels thick (Emacs-22 makes it even thicker,
BTW).

        Stefan