Re: bootstrap not regenerating some *loaddefs

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: bootstrap not regenerating some *loaddefs
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 16:15:35 -0400

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> Please trust me that I did so before asking the question.  I simply
> don't understand what you are saying there, perhaps because most of
> that comment doesn't describe the present solution, but rather
> different alternatives that were not taken.

Sorry both for doubting you and for being unclear. :)

The reason for making custom-deps and finder-data depend on loaddefs
was that these rules used to scan _all_ the *.el files. This included
loaddefs and friends. In a parallel make, loaddefs etc could be
changed while custom-deps/finder-data were trying to read them. (I
think you know this bit.)

Since there is no useful information for custom-deps/finder-data in
loaddefs etc, I made custom-make-dependencies and
finder-compile-keywords-make-dist not scan these files any more (see
finder-no-scan-regexp etc). So to answer your original question,
custom-deps/finder-data indeed no longer scan _all_ *.el files, so
should no longer care if loaddefs etc are modified while they run.

Making these rules depend on loaddefs had undesirable side effects, as
described in the comments, so it was good to remove this.

I have tested this with `make -j4 updates', the source of the original
problem.