Emacs bootstrap

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Emacs bootstrap
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 21:46:45 -0400

I've changed the Makefiles so the bootstrap now should be a bit
more reliable.  E.g., after a checkout, a simple

   ./configure
   make

should DTRT.  And to force a bootstrap, all you need to do is

   make bootstrap-clean

after which

   make

will do a full&clean bootstrap.  The target "bootstrap" actually does
just that (except it runs ./config.status between the two, just in case).

Hopefully, this still work with parallel make (it worked with "make -j4"
in my tests), and hopefully it will not cause excessive re-compilation
or re-dumping either when you do a simple "make" (a simple "make"
will now automatically compile the .el files that need it).

        Stefan