Re: should read-file-name not respect text properties in its input strin

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: should read-file-name not respect text properties in its input string?
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 22:06:10 -0400

> Back in 2007 (thread "display-completion-list should not strip text
> properties"), I argued that completion candidates should be able to
> have text properties and the result read should retain those
> properties. Richard OK'd that change.

IIUC completion candidate's properties are preserved when displayed in
*Completions* now.  So part of it is done.

I think that to make read-file-name preserve properties, you'd need to
make substitute-in-file-name preserve properties.  It's doable, but it's
a non-trivial amount of work and it's not clear how useful that would
be, so ... patches welcome, especially together with some compelling
example showing why it's useful (rather than some vague principle).

        Stefan