Re: Lost antialias?

From: James Cloos
Subject: Re: Lost antialias?
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2008 03:46:35 -0400

>>>>> "Miles" == Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

Miles> So I guess the choice is "reasonable", except for the ordering of
Miles> Vera before Dejavu.  I don't know the reason for that offhand,
Miles> but I imagine perhaps it's because Vera is used as a general
Miles> default these days, and Dejavu is something still installed as an
Miles> optional package.

Keith wrote about that on the fontconfig list.

IIRC, the issue was that the quality of the glyphs added by DejaVu might
not be the same as those in Vera, and perhaps other fonts should take
precedence for languages and scripts in that catagory.

i tend to disagree, but my impression was that he got feedback from
distributions—who had gotten feedback from their userbase—essentially
requesting the current choice.

Personally, I leave Vera out of the aliases on my box and rely on just
DejaVu for those outlines.

(Written in variable-pitch-mode using DejaVu Serif. :)

(Although, interestingly, it does not show up in the list of minor modes
in the mode line.  Only (Message SC MML Abbref Fill Narrow) are there.
Is there a limit on how many are included in the string?)

-JimC
--
James Cloos <address@hidden>         OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6