Emacs CVS keymaps (was my bug)

From: T. V. Raman
Subject: Emacs CVS keymaps (was my bug)
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2008 10:59:53 -0700

Stephane,

thanks for confirming that the problem was not in emacs itself,
it was originating from a bad use of where-is-internal in my code
that until now did not trigger a bug.

Explicitly:

I had code that removed edit commands from read-only mode and
made them undefined -- I believe this goes  all the way back to
the time of  Emacs 19  --- and has therefore been in emacspeak
since about 1996.

The incorrect use was:
doing
(where-is-internal command keymap)
rather than
(where-is-internal command (list keymap))

Not sure whether this subtle difference always existed -- but it
started biting only now.

Essentially my code was stomping on some (but not all ) bindings,
and the problem went away when I used the second usage form shown
above.

Checking further, I dont need to do the shadowing of edit
commands in read-only buffers because the way modern emacsuns
signal the read-only state does not pose a problem for
emacspeak. So I went ahead and deleted that aspect of my
code. But the subtlety in where-is-internal is worth noting which
is why I'm sending this -- I dont have any change to propose --
the documentation for the function is clear -- once you spot it;-)

--
Best Regards,
--raman

Email:  address@hidden