RE: followup to bug report not included in bug tracker; diverseautomatic

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: followup to bug report not included in bug tracker; diverseautomatic Subject lines; ACK noise
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2008 12:36:58 -0700

> >> The (35-character!!) prefix "bug#400: Acknowledgement
> >> (23.0.60; " just obfuscates things for the user and makes
> >> it difficult to group messages about
> >> the same bug together in a mail client.
>
> > "bug#400: " doesn't seem too bad though.
>
> Agreed.  Basically, each bug number gets its own mini
> mailing-list,

Why should that happen? Why have two threads for the same bug? Some people might
reply to the original thread (sans label) and others might reply to the other
thread (with label). Mess; nothing gained.

I don't see why this is considered advantageous. It sounds like users
sacrificing for the sake of tools. The tools should make life easier for the
users, not the other way around.

> and prepending the list name (unless it's already in the subject,
> typically right after "Re:") is standard practice.
> But maybe it should be "[bug#400] ".

It's hard for me to believe that changing the subject line would be standard
practice anywhere. Anyway, even if it is standard practice for you, it's not
what I'm used to or what I prefer. I don't see the need for it or the advantage.
The tools should be able to follow a thread without changing the Subject line.