RE: followup to bug report not included in bug tracker; diverseautomatic

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: followup to bug report not included in bug tracker; diverseautomatic Subject lines; ACK noise
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2008 15:58:19 -0700

>  > If it's truly impossible to use a different header field
>  > or the message body, then append; don't prepend. Prepending
>  > junk throws off sorting by subject.
>
> Sure, but all that's required to fix that is to update the junk-prefix
> strippers provided by the major MUAs.  We already have to strip Re:,
> Re[\d], Fwd:, AWT:, [listname: postnumber], etc etc.

I see; it's the user's problem. Each user should customize the mail client.

Guess I don't know how to do that in my mail client, Outlook, which is still
AFAIK one of the most commonly used clients. (Not necessarily among Emacs
developers, but in general.) Maybe it's possible, but I'm not crazy about having
to learn how.

And I certainly wouldn't want to try to deal with the entire (evolving?) panoply
of prepended annotations I've seen so far. This seems to be only the beginning:

 bug#431: closed by Stefan Monnier <address@hidden
 umontreal.ca> (Re:bug#431: 23.0.60; ...

Will we be representing whole workflows or bug metadiscussions in the subject
line?