Re: Emacs bootstrap

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Emacs bootstrap
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2008 22:45:23 -0400

>> /bin/sh: /scratch/gmorris/emacs/cvs/trunk/src/temacs: Permission denied
> Making witness-emacs depend on temacs${EXEEXT} seems to fix this, but

I see...  hmmm... I think I understand why that is.

> I don't have a handle on your new scheme yet.

Adding the above dependency means that witness-emacs will be recreated
everytime a C source file is changed, so every change to a C source file
will cause 2 dumps: one to `bootstrap-emacs' (via witness-emacs) and
another to `emacs'.  So it defeats the whole idea behind
`witness-emacs'.

I don't have a better answer yet, tho,

        Stefan