Re: `C-x n s' binding in org-mode

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: `C-x n s' binding in org-mode
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 08:05:38 -0400

> Org-mode adds a local binding to the `C-x n' keymap.
> This really confused me for a while because I global rebind `C-x n' to
> be something entirely different, so in org-mode, I ended up with a
> keymap containing _only_ the org-mode binding, erasing my personal
> binding.

> Anyway, this binding seemed pretty dodgy to me; what do others think?

The binding seems to make sense, although it's obviously not following
the major mode binding conventions.

Of course, org-mode should not bind "C-x n s" blindly, but should
instead use the same prefix as the one used by the "narrow submap".
But since (contrary to C-x and a few others) we do not have such an
explicit submap, it's pretty difficult.  I guess it could use where-is
on both narrow-to-region and widen and try to find the common
ancestor... Or we could simply define ctl-x-n-prefix, and then org-mode
could use where-is on that one.

        Stefan