Re: `C-x n s' binding in org-mode

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: `C-x n s' binding in org-mode
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 14:15:43 +0200

On Jun 22, 2008, at 2:05 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote:

Org-mode adds a local binding to the `C-x n' keymap.
This really confused me for a while because I global rebind `C-x n' to
be something entirely different, so in org-mode, I ended up with a
keymap containing _only_ the org-mode binding, erasing my personal
binding.

Anyway, this binding seemed pretty dodgy to me; what do others think?

The binding seems to make sense, although it's obviously not following
the major mode binding conventions.

When making this binding, I loosely justified it for myself with this
section from the Emacs Lips Manual, "Major Mode Conventions"

     It is legitimate for a major mode to rebind a standard key
     sequence if it provides a command that does "the same job" in a
     way better suited to the text this mode is used for.  For example,
     a major mode for editing a programming language might redefine
     `C-M-a' to "move to the beginning of a function" in a way that
     works better for that language.

     It is also legitimate for a major mode to rebind a standard key
sequence whose standard meaning is rarely useful in that mode. For
     instance, minibuffer modes rebind `M-r', whose standard meaning is
     rarely of any use in the minibuffer.  Major modes such as Dired or
     Rmail that do not allow self-insertion of text can reasonably
redefine letters and other printing characters as special commands.

Using this philosophy, Org rebinds C-a, C-e, and C-k to slightly modify
the behavior of these functions in headlines with tags.

C-x n s  seemed a logical key for this.

- Carsten