Re: Display-based word wrapping

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Display-based word wrapping
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 16:33:48 -0400

"Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <address@hidden> writes:

> Chong Yidong wrote:
>> I have been studying Kim Storm's display-based word wrapping code.  I
>> believe it's pretty safe, and suitable for inclusion into the Emacs 23
>> release (probably turned off by default).
>>
>> The original patch included a `wrap-column' variable, but I'd like to
>> modify this to use `truncate-lines' instead, as shown below.  This would
>> mean that word wrap always uses the right window edge as a wrap column.
>> Any objections?
>
> Yes, I would find this quite impractical to not have a
> wrap-column'. I do not want to resize windows just to edit text in a
> comfortable way.

Introducing a wrap-column variable is almost exactly the same as
changing the window width, or equivalently the right fringe width.  I
don't see the advantage in further complicating this part of the code to
introduce a new way to do the same thing.

It would be easier, for example, to introduce a separate patch that
automatically adjusts the right fringe so that the editable area has a
certain width.

> (Wouldn't it also make it impossible to use the "darkroom" editing
> some people have suggested?)

I don't know what this is about.