Re: Display-based word wrapping

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Display-based word wrapping
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 14:24:44 -0400

> I'm not sure what your point is .. if you mean that we should add a
> "simple" word-wrapping feature to the display engine first, ignoring
> other features which make it usable for regular use, maybe you're
> right.  I think many of those "time-sink" features are necessary for
> it to be really usable in a way users expect, though, so we should at
> least make a tentative plan to add them.

We don't have to ignore the other features, but those other features
have no impact on the display word-wrapping AFAICT, so we don't have to
discuss them right away in this thread and we can address them later on,
little by little.
After all, we've survived decades without word wrapping at all, so it's
not like we need it to work perfectly right away.

As for a plan:
1 - improve the fringe indicators so they can be turned off.
2 - visual movement.
3 - maybe add a pilcrow fringe indicator (the issue is obviously not
    the icon itself but the code that determines where to place it).

The order can be changed at will.

        Stefan