Re: Emacs choosing a font with no latin characters when passed a bogus -

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Emacs choosing a font with no latin characters when passed a bogus -fn
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 23:59:49 +0200

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 23:27, Jason Rumney <address@hidden> wrote:

> But it still appears to be using the font
> -outline-Estrangelo Edessa-normal-normal-normal-script-16-*-p-*-unknown
> when Emacs is started as emacs -Q -fn -*-unknown

Another weird problem with glyph selection:

I compiled the trunk in a friend's laptop (with Windows XP Pro) with
the same toolset that I use in my computer. Emacs works fine until I
display etc/HELLO. At this point, the glyphs in the first column of
etc/HELLO are garbled. Moving the cursor over the buffer garbles all
glyphs until Emacs is unusable.

One curious thing: in that computer, the new backend's performance
(and in particular, line-by-line scrolling performance) is very good.
As far as I can see, the main difference is that the computer doesn't
have many fonts installed; \Windows\fonts has ~250 .TTF, vs. ~340 in
my laptop and ~450 at work (both perform quite badly). Alas, I forgot
to check whether my friend's laptop has ClearType active, but I think
it is.

   Juanma