Re: X fonts selection weirdness

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: X fonts selection weirdness
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 13:21:45 +0900

Yoshiaki Kasahara <address@hidden> writes:
> I just want to use a specific font for my emacs, using X font backend
> (I don't like AA fonts for editing).
> Is there a way to instruct emacs to use the exact font if available?
> Also I want to avoid auto-scaling if possible (because it always
> results in ugly glyphs).

Have you tried playing with the xft/fontconfig settings?  Depending on
the font, and the settings you use, the xft backend can give non-AA
fonts that are very attractive, on par with bitmap fonts (but of course
with greater scaling flexibility).

In my experience this is particularly true of CJK fonts, which seem like
they were designed for non-AA rendering at typical sizes.

-Miles

--
Circus, n. A place where horses, ponies and elephants are permitted to see
men, women and children acting the fool.