Re: Display-based word wrapping

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Display-based word wrapping
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 23:48:27 -0400

>> I don't see much of a problem with it.  That's what
>> define-obsolete-variable-alias is for, isn't it?

> Leaving these calls in place would generate plenty of byte-compiler
> warnings, unless we do defvaralias instead of
> define-obsolete-variable-alias.  Anyway, isn't it a general policy to
> change the code in Emacs to use non-obsolete names?

Of course, but luckily we have a tool (Emacs) that can help us do the
search&replace for those cases that occur within Emacs's own files.
Still doesn't seem like a major problem.

Of course, we could also decide not to rename the variable.  All I'm
after is to keep a single (3-state) variable rather than a pair of
boolean vars to choose between the 3 alternative ways to deal with long
lines.

        Stefan