Re: Short explanation for & in key ! of dired

From: Lynbech Christian
Subject: Re: Short explanation for & in key ! of dired
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 14:04:35 +0200

>>>>> "joakim" == joakim  <address@hidden> writes:

joakim> Exactly my observation too. But sometimes you still need to see the
joakim> output when debugging, often post-mortem, so to speak.

i would like to add a "me too" here.

I am also not interested in output for GUI apps, *except* when something
goes wrong, then I often find that I wished for the output.

A possible middle ground would be to redirect output to a temporary
file. then it will not affect emacs and still be available for
debugging, should the need arise.

Emacs should (IMHO) remove the file when the application quits, but as
long as the files are accumulated in /tmp or equivalent, it is not a
terrible disaster if such output files is left behind from time to
time.

A middle middle ground would be to only redirect either stdout or
stderr, leaving the other as output into a buffer in the hope that it
will actually only contain important messages with the junk going
elsewhere.

Yet another option would be to offer to display the file (if nonzero)
when the application quits, sort of giving the best of both worlds and
something that would also work for the case where the app is not a GUI
but something providing usefull output (such as find or grep).

Christian Lynbech       | christian #\@ defun #\. dk
                                        - address@hidden (Michael A. Petonic)