Re: sans-serif name change

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: sans-serif name change
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 16:49:14 +0900

Kenichi Handa <address@hidden> writes:
> And, fontconfig requires `-' in a family name to be escaped
> by `\':
..
> So, how about using the same rule for Emacs?
>
> (set-face-attribute 'variable-pitch nil :family "sans\\-serif")

But currently other places, such as `set-frame-font' seem to work
properly if passed "Sans-Serif" without escaping the "-".  Perhaps some
part of emacs is already adding the backslash?

I think _if_ there are fonts with "-" in their name, requiring the dash
to be escaped will annoy and confuse users, and lead to bug reports.
I don't know how many such fonts there are, of course.

[I'd say just get rid of the old-style foundry-family names; do we
really care?]

-Miles

--
My books focus on timeless truths.  -- Donald Knuth