Re: Global keymaps

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Global keymaps
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2008 09:28:19 +0900

Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:
>> Tho C-x r is a bit of a weird puppy, as it's both "register" and
>> "rectangle" commands (with some overlap).
>
> Then we can use the same naming convention as for C-x 4 and C-x 5 maps:
>
>     ctl-x-4-map - keymap for subcommands of C-x 4
>     ctl-x-5-map - keymap for frame commands
>
> Such names don't restrict the map to commands of only one feature.
>
> By analogy, we could have:
>
>     ctl-x-a-map - keymap for abbreviation commands
>     ctl-x-n-map - keymap for narrowing commands
>     ctl-x-r-map - keymap for register/rectangle subcommands of C-x r
>     esc-g-map   - keymap for navigation subcommands of M-g

That's a bad naming convention, we shouldn't copy it if it's possible to
do better.  If keymaps have a coherent meaning associated with the, we
should use it.

So, "narrowing-map" and "goto-map" are pretty good.

For the rectangle/register map, well, it's an ugly case, but
"rect-reg-map" more or less tells the story.

-Miles

--
Barometer, n. An ingenious instrument which indicates what kind of weather we
are having.