Re: Fix UK spelling in comments and ChangeLog entries?

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Fix UK spelling in comments and ChangeLog entries?
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2008 23:45:25 +0100

Juri Linkov wrote:

> What about i18n?  Shouldn't commands that display documentation (like
> `C-h f', `C-h v', ...) take into account the current locale and translate
> default American spellings when the locale is `en_GB'?  This should be much
> easier to do than to translate documentation to other languages.

The translation itself might be easier, but it would be less useful than
translating to other languages, as generally English speakers have no
problem reading each others' spelling, even if it looks a little strange
sometimes. The important work is in making such translated documentation
possible. We've done it with the tutorial, and the manuals could be
translated the same way if we had volunteers to take on the rather large
job. We spent some time a while ago discussing ways to localize doc
strings, and I think a reasonable design can be found in that discussion
somewhere, but as is common with such discussions, everyone has an
opinion but noone seems to be interested enough to work on an
implementation.