Re: Fix UK spelling in comments and ChangeLog entries?

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Fix UK spelling in comments and ChangeLog entries?
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 13:57:40 +0200

On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 13:06, Reiner Steib <address@hidden> wrote:

> but when looking for a ChangeLog
> entry or a comment, it is easier to search only for a single spelling
> variant.

That's evidently true, though I don't think I've ever done much
searching for comments, and only rarely for ChangeLog descriptions (as
opposed to files, variables and functions).

> I'd guess it is much easier to unify the spelling globally than to
> check if the location is user visible or not (comment vs. doc string,
> etc.).

Well, I don't agree (and I've done my quote of typo-fixing). For
starters, fixing typos in docstrings requires adding a ChangeLog
entry, while comment changes do not.

> In contrast to s/initialise/initialize/g, this can't be done
> automatically.

That would make these kinds of changes all the more valuable, then.
But anyway, no typo-fixing can be done automatically. There are
variables and functions with wrong spellings, for example.

   Juanma