Re: address@hidden: Delivery Notification: Delivery has failed]

From: Don Armstrong
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Delivery Notification: Delivery has failed]
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 11:45:01 -0700

On Sun, 29 Jun 2008, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > Btw, why does the bug tracker need these headers? Fixing the above
> > won't help those who use older Emacsen, so if using the headers is
> > not really necessary, perhaps we should lose them nonetheless?
>
> I don't know why debbugs adds those Resent-* (or is it
> added elsewhere?) fields.  Don?

They're useful to know where a particular message was dispatched, what
the new message-id is, what date it was dispatched, etc. Rewriting the
original fields is kind of wrong when you're resending mail, so that's
why the Resent-* fields were created in the RFC, and that's why
debbugs uses them.

Anything that uses them to produce replies is just broken, and should
be fixed. [That few things use Resent-*; is probably the only reason
why it hasn't been noticed before.]

Don Armstrong

--
Build a fire for a man, an he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on
fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.