Re: address@hidden: Delivery Notification: Delivery has failed]

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Delivery Notification: Delivery has failed]
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 23:09:36 +0300

> Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 11:45:01 -0700
> From: Don Armstrong <address@hidden>
>
> > I don't know why debbugs adds those Resent-* (or is it
> > added elsewhere?) fields.  Don?
>
> They're useful to know where a particular message was dispatched, what
> the new message-id is, what date it was dispatched, etc. Rewriting the
> original fields is kind of wrong when you're resending mail

I didn't say rewrite the original fields.  But you could have used
some X-something header, like everybody else does.

> Anything that uses them to produce replies is just broken, and should
> be fixed.

There are probably a gazillion broken MUAs out there.  While I agree
they should be either fixed or abandoned, there's no need to punish
their users who probably don't even know Resent-to exists.  They just
want to report a bug.