Re: Fix UK spelling in comments and ChangeLog entries?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Fix UK spelling in comments and ChangeLog entries?
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 23:20:23 +0300

> From: Sam Steingold <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 15:53:11 -0400
>
> >> I don't care much about this issue, but when looking for a ChangeLog
> >> entry or a comment, it is easier to search only for a single spelling
> >> variant.
> >
> > Do you really search ChangeLog files for common words like color and
> > flavor?
>
> As a part of a complex regexp, sometimes.

A complex regexp can catch both flavor and flavour without any
trouble.

> Believe it or not, good grammar is absolutely crucial to understanding
> even a simple sentence (you need to study a foreign language as an adult
> to truly appreciate this observation - however trivial it might seem to
> a linguist), and consistent spelling would help a beginner a lot.

Then I propose that we freeze development for a month and announce a
``Emacs consistent spelling month''.  If we cannot spell right, we
shall not be allowed to program, either, because chances are, we will
not be able to read our own code.  Heck, let's add a FOR-RELEASE item
to spell every file in the distro before each release.

Sorry, couldn't resist.