Re: Faces applies to new frames

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Faces applies to new frames
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 20:58:27 -0400

> Only a little: internal-merge-in-global-face is only used in
> face-set-after-frame-default, and it's more concise to update the frame
> in Lisp in face-set-after-frame-defaultis than changing
> internal-merge-in-global-face.  But OK.

I'd expect that for most users (at least that's the case for me), 99% of
the faces are not changed by the call to internal-merge-in-global-face,
so it seems fair to let internal-merge-in-global-face do the update, so
it can optimize it away when no change were performed.

>> [ Tho, I'd have expected that updating the `font' frame-parameter was
>> done at a lower-level, in a single place. ]

> Well, face vectors are Lisp-accessible data structures, and there's no
> practical generic way to catch changes to these data structures.

That doesn't answer my point, which is that this problem you describe has
been with us for ever, and so it's irrelevant to the question, AFAICT.
Or are you saying that my proposal would make it somehow worse?

        Stefan