Re: visual-line-mode

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: visual-line-mode
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 19:39:29 +0900

Incidentally, I notice that in cases where posn-at-point is returning
bogus values for word-wrapped lines, it looks like it's just ignoring
word-wrap entirely -- the values returned would be correct if word-wrap
were turned off!

In otherwords, the non-word-wrapped line looked like:

   word1 word2 longw\
   Xrd3 word4

and (posn-at-point) returns x-y of (0 . 1) when the cursor is at the "X".

If I turn on word-wrapping, and the display looks like:

   word1 word2      \
   longwXrd3 word4

Then the first place where (posn-at-point) returns (0 . 1) is when the
cursor is on the "X" again; for positions on the 2nd line but before the
"X", posn-at-point returns a y-value of 1, and large x-values as if the
cursor were still near the end of the first line.

[Do the move_it_* functions even attempt to handle word-wrapping?]

-Miles

--
It wasn't the Exxon Valdez captain's driving that caused the Alaskan oil spill.
It was yours.  [Greenpeace advertisement, New York Times, 25 February 1990]