Re: Rmail-mbox branch

From: Paul Michael Reilly
Subject: Re: Rmail-mbox branch
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 13:48:49 -0400

Stefan Monnier wrote:
In any case, to head off more branch and merge grief, right now I'm
considering taking an approach of doing a minimalist clone of the mbox
code to my CVS trunk based workspace and call it Pmail for lack of a
better name.  The goal is to allow me to work on both Rmail/babyl and
Rmail/mbox simultaneously.  It might seem like more work but I have a
strong hunch that being able to work on both versions side by side
will help increase the chance that this project will actually get
done.

You mean you want to replace the branch by combining both features so
they coexist in the same branch (e.g. in the trunk)?

Correct. Once both Rmail/mbox and Rmail/bably are running in the trunk the branch is obsolete.

That sounds like a good plan.  Even better if you can avoid duplicating
files, using (if rmail-mbox <somecode> <othercode>) where
necessary instead.

This type of approach may make it more difficult (but not impossible by any stretch) to have both running simultaneously. I'll keep it in mind. The more I think about it the more appealing it is.

As long as the BABYL code is not broken before the mbox code works, and
as long as there is clear understanding that we *will* finish the mbox
support, you could even install this code on the trunk so people can
test it just by (setq rmail-mbox t).

Agreed.

-pmr