Grep key bindings (was: Yanking isearch to highlight-regexp)

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Grep key bindings (was: Yanking isearch to highlight-regexp)
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2008 00:34:57 +0300

Another set of commands that need global key bindings is `grep'
and more useful `rgrep' and `lgrep'.  We have now global key maps
to bind most frequently used commands, but I'm not sure what keymap
is better since both `search-map' and `goto-map' make sense for grep:
`search-map' because grep searches in files, and `goto-map' because
it provides keys to navigate in grep results `M-g n' and `M-g p'.

One variant is `M-s g r' with mnemonics "Search - Grep - Recursively"
and `M-s g l' with "Search - Grep - Locally".

A command that grep inherits from needs a key binding too -
`compile' is not less frequently used command.  However, `compile'
semantically doesn't fit to `search-map'.  So it could be bound
to a key in `goto-map', for instance, to `M-g c'.

If these two related set of commands should be in one keymap,
then another variant for grep is `M-g r r' "GRep - Recursively"
and `M-g r l' "GRep - Locally".

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/