Re: Question about dumping emacs under Solaris

From: Ali Bahrami
Subject: Re: Question about dumping emacs under Solaris
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2008 14:52:37 -0600

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2008 22:06:29 -0600
From: Ali Bahrami <address@hidden>

Can anyone shed any light on what GNU ld extensions are not
properly handled by the Solaris dldump()? I know that 2002
was a while ago, and possibly no one remembers, but it
would be helpful to know what went wrong.

Did you try looking at bug-gnu-emacs archives around the time this
change was committed?

I had not, purely due to ignorance. Thanks for pointing it
out. I did do a google search, so perhaps I did indirectly.

Anyway, I just went back and looked. There seems to be just
this one:

        http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/2002-08/msg00203.html

I bet this is the message that got dldump() into emacs.
I didn't find any other message mentioning dldump() at
all, so the reason for yanking it is probably lost in time.

I did a bit more googling also, and found several messages
involving xemacs and dldump(). So I went and had a look
at xemacs 21.5. It *does* use dldump(). This change must have
happened before the emacs/xemacs split, and then one fork
ran into something while the other didn't.

One might conclude one or more of:

        1) dldump() is fine --- whatever was wrong isn't now
        2) xemacs is not built with GNU ld on Solaris
        3) the xemacs and GNU emacs cores have
           drifted far enough that this comparison
           is meaningless.

My money is on (1)...

I'll try to test things out and report back over
the next couple of weeks.

- Ali