Re: composed characters question and suggestions for quail-cyrillic-*

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: composed characters question and suggestions for quail-cyrillic-*
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2008 13:50:43 -0500

On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 11:49:08 -0400 James Cloos <address@hidden> wrote:

>>>>>> "Juri" == Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:
Juri> Other needed characters to add are at least ”’–—•…

JC> A recent thread on the unicode list informs that the character
JC> U+2026 HORIZONTAL ELLIPSIS was added to the UCS to represent a
JC> THREE DOT LEADER (along with U+2024 ONE DOT LEADER and U+2025
JC> TWO DOT LEADER.  That it ended up named ELLIPSIS, according to
JC> that thread, is a mistake.

JC> The strong recomendation is to always use a series of U+002E
JC> FULL STOPs for an ellipsis, possibly with same space between.
JC> U+202F NARROW NO-BREAK SPACE is likely appropriate.

JC> One can argue, then, that there is no need for an input system
JC> to support U+2026.

JC> Therefore, it should either be optional, or shouldn't get in
JC> the way of typing '...'.

I didn't know about the ELLIPSIS issue, thanks.  My proposed shortcut
would not get in the way of normal typing.

Do I understand correctly, though, that people should just type
... (with or without NARROW NO-BREAK SPACE in between) instead of using
the … character?  Is there value in providing that sequence with the
/.. quail key sequence instead of … in Emacs, or is that unnecessary?

Ted