Re: composed characters question and suggestions for quail-cyrillic-*

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: composed characters question and suggestions for quail-cyrillic-*
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2008 23:47:39 +0200

Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> writes:

>> It might be funny but in Russian § is named as a "paragraph sign",
>> so your mnemonics don't work here.  And "абзац" is used for a
>> different character, actually the pilcrow.
>
> Both a possibly of German origin: We also call § the `paragraph sign'
> to enumerate laws.

No, we don't.  We call it "Paragraph" which can be translated to
"paragraph sign".

> And абзац is definitely a transliteration of the German word `Absatz',
> meaning paragraph.

Yup.  Law navigation is usually done by "Paragraph/Absatz", typically
written as "§23, Abs. 3" IIRC.  ¶ is not used for navigation, merely for
printer instructions.  It denotes a paragraph (namely the end of an
"Absatz"), not a "Paragraph".

The problem in German is that a "Paragraph" really is sort of a numbered
section rather than just a paragraph.