Re: gdb-ui, dedicated windows

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: gdb-ui, dedicated windows
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2008 08:46:18 +0900

Nick Roberts <address@hidden> writes:
>  >   (4) Switch back to the *gud...* buffer using "C-x b *gud...* RET"
>  >
>  >   (5) Try to pop up the source buffer again using a gdb command, e.g.,
>  >       just "frame RET".
>  >
>  > *bang*, *gdb...* buffer disappears, source buffer is only ting
>  > displayed... :-(
>
> OK.  When you do (4) you put the GUD buffer in the window that
> gdb-source-window points to.  So when you do 'f' gdb-ui thinks the source
> should go there.
>
> I'm not sure what I can do as commands like switch-to-buffer are built-in.
> Maybe some kind of hook in window-size-change-functions to keep gdb-ui
> up-to-date.  Or perhaps having window groups would make it impossible to
> switch
> the source buffer for the GUD buffer if they were assigned to different
> groups.

gud/gdb-ui shouldn't be storing window references like that and assuming
the associated buffer hasn't been changed by the user, because that's an
assumption that doesn't hold in emacs.

Perhaps that code is left over from the "old" gdb-ui which used
dedicated windows?

A possible fix would be to store the buffer gdb puts in that window,
and when deciding whether to re-use that window or, also verify that the
same buffer is there (and don't re-use the window if not).

-Miles

--
Acquaintance, n. A person whom we know well enough to borrow from, but not
well enough to lend to.