Re: ^M in the info files

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: ^M in the info files
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2008 11:44:14 +0900

In article <address@hidden>, "Juanma Barranquero" <address@hidden> writes:

> Has this one been forgotten?

No, but I haven't had a time to work on it.  As I've just
committed a change about font selection, I started to work
on it.  I've just installed the latest Emacs on Windows with
cygwin, and done this:

> The sequence is this:

>  - I have a ChangeLog, apparently correct, up-to-date with the repository.
>  - I modify it, typically by adding a new ChangeLog entry.
>  - I commit in from inside Emacs, with vc-next-action followed by
> log-edit-done.
>  - I see the diff in emacs-diffs and notice that an empty line has
> been deleted. This seems to happen more to empty lines that separate
> paragraphs from date/author lines (as opposed to empty space between
> paragraphs), but I have no hard data, just a feeling.
>  - I edit the ChangeLog to see what's happened. All the lines end in ^M.
>  - I remove the ^M (with replace-string <ENTER> ^M^J <ENTER> ^J) [I
> don't write the ChangeLog, it's just to make it easier spot problems.]
>  - At that point (after removing the ^Ms) the line with the problem
> has this aspect:

But, I can't reproduce the bug.  The diff of the step 4
above shows only the entry I added.  What was the coding
system of your ChangeLog file when you first visitted it?

---
Kenichi Handa
address@hidden