Re: gdb-ui, dedicated windows

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: gdb-ui, dedicated windows
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 22:47:26 +1200

 > gud/gdb-ui shouldn't be storing window references like that and assuming
 > the associated buffer hasn't been changed by the user, because that's an
 > assumption that doesn't hold in emacs.
 >
 > Perhaps that code is left over from the "old" gdb-ui which used
 > dedicated windows?
 >
 > A possible fix would be to store the buffer gdb puts in that window,
 > and when deciding whether to re-use that window or, also verify that the
 > same buffer is there (and don't re-use the window if not).

gdb-ui _does_ store the (source) buffer it puts in the window.  That's why when
you replace it with the GUD buffer using switch-to-buffer (not part of gdb-ui)
it gets confused.

It could verify that the same buffer is there but the contents of the source
window change every time the program being debugged stops in a frame that is in
a different file and gdb-ui must allow for this.  If the current window shows
the previous frame and execution is continued (from the tool bar, say) so that
it stops in another frame in a different file, then it's probably appropriate
to replace the entire window with one displaying the new file.

I'm not saying it that can't be done but it's probably more productive to
discuss these ideas with actual code.