Re: composed characters question and suggestions for quail-cyrillic-*

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: composed characters question and suggestions for quail-cyrillic-*
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2008 22:21:15 +0300

> JL> Since ` and ' are more important for accented letters, we should
> JL> find an alternative key for ь.
>
> I often see it written as q or u in manually transliterated text.  Maybe
> // or /q or /u would work?  The corresponding /? /Q /U would uppercase it.

I've never seen it written as q or u.  And indeed there is no such rule
on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Translit or on this page in other
languages (Bulgarian, Russian) where q is used for ю, and q for я.
One possible letter for ь is x.  I guess it is from jcuken-only
keyboards, but since it is already taken for x in cyrillic-translit,
maybe we should replace the rule ("x" ?х) with ("x" ?ь)?

> JL> I now noticed that I can't type a pair of double quotes in
> cyrillic-translit
> JL> that I often do.  Maybe this rule should use the slash prefix key /""  ->
> “ ?
>
> OK, it's more consistent that way.  Let's eliminate all but << and >> as
> non-prefixed special characters for consistency (those two are too
> convenient IMO).  So we'd have:

I like your current set of rules, they are easy to remember and input.
But I have doubts about << and >> since they are inconsistent with
other sequences with the leading slash.

Since these rules will be needed in parallel with other input methods,
I suggest you to create two separate input methods: one with the name
like `typographic' (if you are going to provide only typographic
characters) for rules without the leading slash and `typographic-pre'
for rules with the leading slash.  And with the code Handa-san provided
it will be possible to activate multiple input methods.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/