Re: composed characters question and suggestions for quail-cyrillic-*

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: composed characters question and suggestions for quail-cyrillic-*
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 02:52:57 +0300

> The situation is different for Roman numerals which have distinct code
> points from the corresponding ASCII characters.  I'm not including
> lowercase versions but I could (downcase-region is so nice, this took 2
> seconds):
>
>  ("/i" ?ⅰ)
>  ("/ii" ?ⅱ)
>  ("/iii" ?ⅲ)
>  ("/iv" ?ⅳ)
>  ("/v" ?ⅴ)
>  ("/vi" ?ⅵ)
>  ("/vii" ?ⅶ)
>  ("/viii" ?ⅷ)
>  ("/ix" ?ⅸ)
>  ("/x" ?ⅹ)
>  ("/xi" ?ⅺ)
>  ("/xii" ?ⅻ)
>
> I don't recall them being used for anything, but then again it's been a
> while since I wrote in Bulgarian every day, and Russian and others may
> want them.

You could include lowercase versions since they are sometimes used to
numerate subsections.  But please be careful to not create conflicts
with the existing rules in cyrillic-translit like ("/i" ?і) and ("/I" ?І)
where І is CYRILLIC CAPITAL LETTER BYELORUSSIAN-UKRAINIAN I.

> JL> One possible letter for ь is x.  I guess it is from jcuken-only
> JL> keyboards, but since it is already taken for x in cyrillic-translit,
> JL> maybe we should replace the rule ("x" ?х) with ("x" ?ь)?
>
> OK, ditto for X -> Ь.  We'll be lynched, surely.

This is why I suggest you to move out most new rules to a separate
input method, or at least reduce the likelihood of possible annoyance.

> JL> I like your current set of rules, they are easy to remember and input.
> JL> But I have doubts about << and >> since they are inconsistent with
> JL> other sequences with the leading slash.
>
> Yes, but it's very rare to need << or >> in any other context.  Let's
> try it, I'm sure only shell users will complain :)  At worst you have to
> do
>
> C-\ Shift-, Shift-, C-\
>
> to get the regular << meaning.  Compared to
>
> / Shift-, Shift-,
> / Shift-. Shift-.
>
> all the time while typing, I think it's better.

I'm not convinced of the need of creating an exception for these two
characters.  Such exceptions do more harm than good, e.g. the user has
to remember which quotes require the prefix slash and which don't.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/