Re: visual-line-mode

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: visual-line-mode
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 19:35:37 -0400

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

> David Reitter <address@hidden> writes:
>>> Could someone explain the difference between visual-line-mode and the
>>> short patch that Stefan posted?
>>
>> Apart from the issues pointed out by Miles, I believe that Stefan's
>> patch does not support variable width fonts.  (Could someone who can
>> run 23 try this?)
>
> No, it works fine with variable-width fonts.

Aha, so it does.  I think the docstring for vertical-motion in Emacs 23
is misleading: the new (COL . LINES) argument specifies a pixel
position, computed using the default column-width, rather than character
columns.  This should probably be noted.

So Stefan's basic approach to line-move is probably what we want to use
for Emacs 23.  Still, I think the correct approach is to merge in the
minor mode, then change it to use the new vertical-motion feature.