Re: Working with one buffer in two frames/windows

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Working with one buffer in two frames/windows
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2008 14:22:19 +0200

>>If you have problems with `View-quit' when viewing a help buffer please
>>report here.  I have tried to handle that case but might have failed.
>
> I just tried for 10-seconds and it might do the right thing.

It should work correctly as long as the help buffer is shown in one
window only.  It might fail when you show the help buffer in multiple
windows because `view-return-to-alist' is buffer-local.

> However,
> killing the view buffer with C-x k RET does not.  And other things that
> likely use the equivalent of bury-buffer don't either.  Doing any C-x 4
> like stuff will lose you the point information in the other window,
> permanently.  M-x gnus RET in particular will leave a mess after
> finishing concerning both window configuration and buffer selection (at
> least if you view at least one article and thus get into split view).
>
> One major drawback of many window systems is productivity loss because
> you have to move around and rearrange windows in order to get a certain
> job done.  And the Emacs windows assignment methods cause similar user
> threshing where you have to invest time to regain a working
> configuration.

We could set up a window-local equivalent of `view-return-to-alist' and
every time one quits or otherwise replaces the buffer, the previous,
explicitly placed there, buffer would get restored together with its
window-point and maybe other window-related/buffer-local information.

Alternatively, we could save the current window configuration when
invoking help or gnus and restore that configuration when quitting.
Personally I find this behavior annoying because it also destroys all
other changes in the window configuration I have done in the meantime.
A typical case is the backtrace buffer where I sometimes wind up
investigating the cause of an error in other windows.  When I eventually
decide to quit backtrace, all those new windows get killed too, leaving
me with a configuration I neither want nor need at that time.