Re: Working with one buffer in two frames/windows

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Working with one buffer in two frames/windows
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2008 07:53:28 +0900

David Kastrup writes:

 > > (add-hook 'kill-buffer-hook 'View-quit 'append 'local)

 > I am not really all too convinced that one can cover everything in that
 > manner.

Of course not.  My intent was to suggest that view-mode could do an
even better job cleaning up after itself in this small way.

 > Maybe windows with unique window-point and/or frame configurations
 > should be pushed into some history when something replaces them so
 > that the default behavior will tend to restore them.

The problem is identifying them.  Kyle Jones's VM comes with a library
called tapestry that does a pretty good job of this for VM itself, but
it doesn't help when returning to some other task.  Many tasks seem to
be built up from user-process-specific window and frame groups; how is
Emacs to guess?

I think that you do need a UI to tell Emacs which objects belong
together.  Of course, complex modes could and should do the user of
calling that UI and saving the user the trouble.