Re: evangelizing Emacs with a graphical tutorial

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: evangelizing Emacs with a graphical tutorial
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2008 09:02:32 +0200

Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:

> BTW, while looking now at the startup screen with a new nice image,
> I have a feeling that it is a bit unfriendly to put the word "to quit"
> just below the word "Welcome".
>
> I propose to move this line a few lines below to be after the line
> "To start".  This would be more logical place and more friendly.

I am not sure about that: the most unfriendly thing an editor can do to
a beginner is not allowing him to quit.  Now that's probably not an
issue for the GUI startup screen since we have File/Exit Emacs on the
menu.

Actually, the next unfriendly thing is not allowing a user _not_ to
quit.  I just tried

C-h k M-F4

and got the following result:

PNG image

Conspicuously absent in this plethora of answers is an option _not_ to
quit (presumably "Cancel").  Closing the dialog window happens to
achieve that, apparently, but it is not really obvious.