Re: what is TERM?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: what is TERM?
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2008 18:00:50 +0200

Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
>
>   > In that manner, one can, for example, use Emacs on the local
>   > machine for reading Usenet and sending Mail to the remote machine
>   > where one just has a normal terminal account.
>   >
>   > It is probably not used all too much anymore: pure terminal
>   > dialups have become rather rare.  One reference I found on the web
>   > is
>   > <URL:http://www.cit.gu.edu.au/~anthony/info/usage/term_howto.html>.
>
> Thanks for the detailed explanation!
>
> So is it worth keeping this code?
> To use this code one would have to hack the build system to use an
> undocumented flag (-DTERM), and to want to use network connections in
> emacs in a not very common setup.

Well, I certainly had no reasonable alternatives 15 years ago.
Nowadays, it is probably easier to get a PPP connection than an
unprivileged shell login account, I guess.  So at least I don't have a
use for it anymore.  I don't see much evidence for others still using
it.  We can probably remove it and wait to see whether anybody
complains.