Re: adding consistent extra symbols to input methods (cyrillic-*, croati

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: adding consistent extra symbols to input methods (cyrillic-*, croatian-*, slov*, czech-* etc.) input methods
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 00:51:47 +0300

>> > activate-preposition-input-method -> activate-additional-input-method
>> > inactivate-preposition-input-method -> inactivate-additional-input-method
>> > local-input-method-list -> current-additional-input-method-list
>
>> Those names seem to have rather different implications though...
>
>> `activate-additional-input-method' makes it sound vaguely like the new
>> input method will somehow be "equal" to the existing input method,
>> whereas kenichi's name somewhat implies otherwise, that the new input
>> method being activated is somehow "special" (and I think also suggests
>> that it will be "subsidiary" to any main input method).
>
>> Which of those is true?
>
> My original patch intends that "preposition" input methods
> are what handled before the normal input method (as
> documented).

I'm not sure if "preposition" is the right English word here.

>> global-input-method-list -> remove this variable since there is
>> no global variant of `current-input-method'.
>
> ??? A preposition input method can be activated globally
> when recorded in global-input-method-list.  In that case, in
> any buffer, when you activate a normal input method, that
> preposition input method is also activated automatically.
> Isn't it useful?

This is useful, but I think it should work exactly like a single input
method works now, i.e. since a global single input method is defined by the
variable `default-input-method', so an additional/preposition/subsidiary
input method should be defined by a similar global variable like e.g.
`default-input-methods' (note the plural `s' at the end of the name) or
`default-input-method-list'.

This also suggests creating a new similar buffer-local variable
`current-input-method-list' (or `current-input-methods').

Why I propose to create these parallel versions is because when I tried
to create UI to define multiple input methods it was obvious that they
are really very similar variables.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/