Re: Emacs vista build failures

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Emacs vista build failures
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 20:29:56 +0000

Hi, Alfred,

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 02:04:06PM -0400, Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
> Maybe if you stopped with your condescending tone then people might be
> more willing to help you.  If you expect me to be friendly to you
> after calling me a liar, patronising, and what not, then you are quite
> mistaken.

If I've called you a liar, it was by accident and I'm sorry about it.
It's not the sort of thing I do.

I didn't call you patronising - merely one of your replies; this one:

>    I challenge you to write a recipe, suitable for a newbie without an
>    internet connection, how to get a GNU/Linux system connected to the
>    internet, on the assumption that any magic spells supplied by the
>    distribution have failed.  Point out where he can find the necessary
>    info, and how he could discover that that is where he has to look.

> http://www.gnewsense.org/

In fact I found it somewhat offensive, much as you have found some of my
posts offensive.  I don't think I fully understand what you were trying
to say, and apologise for going directly into such a high temperature
mode.  I was in a somewhat turbulent state when I read your reply.

I had a look at the gnewsense website when I got your Email, and there
was no configuration help there for the OP who couldn't configure his
internet connection.

At the time I read your one-line reply as saying to him "you've been a
bit of an idiot spending so much time on such a duff distribution; you'll
never manage to get it set up, so you might as well give up now, chuck it
all away and start again from scratch with a better distro which is sure
to work by magic".  Which if you had said, would have justified me taking
offence.

I think you actually meant something more gentle.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).