Re: describe-char should display the character's Unicode name

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: describe-char should display the character's Unicode name
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 23:42:54 +0300

> `describe-char' currently displays the character, but in cases where the
> font is not capable of that, just the codepoint number is not very
> useful for the user.  The character's Unicode name would be nice, but
> the user has to customize `describe-char-unidata-list'.  At least the
> Unicode name ('name) should be in `describe-char-unidata-list' by
> default.  Since `describe-char' is used rarely and the user really wants
> to know about the character, I think this is sensible.  It could also be
> used for `what-cursor-position' which is similarly rarely used.

Displaying the full Unicode information was turned off by default,
because licence conditions of the Unicode data file prohibited adding
it to Emacs, so the user had to download the data file and point the
variable to the location of this file to be able to see the full
information from it.

But since now it is available in Emacs without the need to download it,
it makes sense to display its full Unicode information by default.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/