Re: Debian's idiosyncratic complexification of Emacs

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Debian's idiosyncratic complexification of Emacs
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 12:34:11 -0400

>         Well, on a Debian system, the norm is to expect to be able to
>  edit any configuration file under /etc. So, I would start looking into
>  /etc for any Debian package -- even emacs (my /usr is mounted
>  read-only, and often the /usr/share is actually shared).

That's a very good policy indeed.  But it's also good practice for the
same file to also be available at the place usually specified by the
upstream version.  I.e. unify the upstream package's conventions
with Debian's.

E.g. add a symlink from /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.el to
/etc/emacs/site-start.el or something like that.

> though I believe a symbolic link in $PREFIX/share/emacs/site-lisp is
> not a bad idea.

That would be great, thanks.

        Stefan